2012-01-11

More on Osteoarthritis

Yesterday was day +29.

I think the diagnosis of "severe osteoarthritis" has thrown me for a bit of a loop.

I seem to be somewhat numb (or in denial:) about the effects of this diagnosis. In reality, this likely means no more marathons and possibly no more running. I immediatly thought of:
  • Get a rowing machine (e.g., Concept2 type E)
  • Do deep-water running.
  • Losing weight to reduce stress on the hip.

The emotional aspect of the diagnosis is kind of complicated. My dad was 55 (ha - my age now!) when I was born and just never seemed healthy. I remember him always talking about his arthritis - including painful hands and as he got older, less and less walking. So — perhaps he had this issue as well. One currently big difference between the two of us was that he was quite skinny. He was 6'4" tall and I think most of the time I remember he weighed under 170 pounds. I, as noted in my fitness blog, am 6'0" tall and currently weigh just over 200 pounds.

A lighter, brighter note... My sweetheart got her first engagement through Adopt-An-Artist and will be placing a number of paintings in the Calgary Liberal Caucus offices. Yayyy!

No comments:

Post a Comment