2012-01-21

Outlook 2003 ical to Mac

Yesterday was day +39.

Like many unfortunate people, I have to suffer through using M$ tools at work, including calendaring on Exchange and Outlook (2003).

Within their own domain, they are fine (not great - but serviceable).

When it comes time to try to include someone (i.e., me at home) that is using iCal, they suck.  Nowadays, anytime I try to send a meeting invitation to myself, it comes as this garbage winmail.dat file.

Luckily, a good text editor (e.g., Textmate) can fix the issue. In your mail, right-click the winmail.dat file and open it with your text editor.

The first umpteen lines will look like garbage (they are :). Look for the characters BEGIN:VCALENDAR. Delete everything from the beginning of the file to there. Then, look for END:VCALENDAR and delete everything from the "R" to the end of the file.

Save that as whatever.ics, double-click it and voila, your meeting is added to iCal.

In other news, I was at the U all afternoon and I now have the LQPL server able to return the current quantum stack in XML format. YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment